Finding a scallop recipe that is garlic and onion free isn’t all that easy so here’s our option to keep these delicious shellfish FODMAP-friendly.
- Cleaned Scallops (suggested serving 3 per person for a starter 5-6 for a main)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salted butter
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp french mustard (check ingredients)
- 3 tbsp snipped chives
- If you feel any grit on the scallops, rinse them under cold water. Pat the scallops completely dry with paper towels to help them to brown better in the pan.
- Choose a nonstick pan large enough for the scallops to cook with plenty of space. You may need to cook them in 2 batches as overcrowding the pan will prevent them from browning. Heat the pan over a medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the oil and butter and heat until quite hot. Put the scallops in the pan and let sear undisturbed until one side is browned and crisp, 2 to 4 minutes. Using tongs, turn the scallops and sear until the second side is well browned and the scallops are almost firm to the touch, 2 to 4 minutes. Take the pan off the heat, transfer the scallops to a plate, and set them in a warm spot.
- Grate the zest from half the lemon and squeeze the juice from the whole lemon. Put the juice, zest, mustard and a little black pepper in the pan used to cook the scallops and stir until smooth and warmed through.
- Add the chives and warm for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Return the scallops and any accumulated juices to the pan. Gently roll the scallops in the sauce to warm them through. Taste for salt and pepper and serve immediately.