This healthy warming breakfast is a great option for anyone with IBS. Oats contain plenty of soluble fibre to help you feel fuller for longer and make mid-morning snacks less attractive.
Porridge on its own can seem a little dull but the addition of a range of toppings make this simple dish fresh and interesting.
For the porridge:
- 1 cup of oats (any cup will do as long as you use the same one for the liquid)
- 2 ¼ cups of water or soya milk (or a mixture of the two)
- Put the oats in a saucepan and pour in the soya milk or water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring from time to time and watching carefully that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Alternatively, mix the oats and milk or water in a large microwave proof bowl, then microwave on High for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through. Leave to stand for 2 minutes before eating or topping.
Choose a couple of toppings from the list below (being careful not to have more than one portion of fruit) and flavour to your hearts content.
- 2tsp maple syrup
- 2 drops vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp golden syrup
- ½ chopped banana
- 1 small handful of blueberries
- 1 small handful of raspberries
- 3 strawberries, chopped
- 2 dates, chopped
- 2tsp sesame seeds
- 2tsp flaked almonds
- 2tsp pumpkin seeds
- 2tsp sunflower seeds
- 2tsp chopped hazelnuts
- 1tsp grated dark chocolate