Worried that the low FODMAP diet means a low flavour diet? Think you’ll never have another curry? Fear not! Put your takeaway menu aside and have a go at this delicious low FODMAP version in your own kitchen.
The asafoetida powder provides the onion punch and the dish can be made spicier with an extra dash of chilli. If chicken isn’t your thing you can swap the same weight of prawns for a fantastic seafood curry, just add the prawns to the simmering sauce 5 minutes before you’re ready to serve.
For the masala sauce:
- 1tsp asafoetida powder (what is this?)
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3tsp garam masala
- 2tsp turmeric
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp garlic oil
- 1 finely chopped Birdseye chilli
- 1.5tsp sugar
- 2tbsp single cream
- Salt and pepper to season
For the chicken:
- 500g chicken breast chopped into 2.5cm cubes
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 pinch salt
- Put the chicken in a bowl and cover with the lime juice and salt. Stir and leave to marinade.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the asafoetida, garam masala, turmeric, coriander and cumin.
- Cook the spices gently for 2-3 minutes until they begin to smell aromatic, keeping them moving with a spoon to prevent them from burning.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chilli, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic oil and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes uncovered stirring occasionally.
- Take the sauce off the heat and stand to one side to cool a little.
- In another pan heat the rest of the oil and add the marinaded chicken. Brown gently all over and set on kitchen paper to drain.
- Taking the original pan of sauce, use a stick blender (or transfer into a jug blender if necessary) and blitz to a smooth sauce.
- Put the sauce back on the heat and bring back to a simmer.
- Add the browned chicken to the sauce and bring back to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally. If the sauce looks like it is getting a little thick add a couple of tablespoons of water.
- After 20minutes take off the heat and stir in the cream. Taste and adjust the seasoning as required.
- Serve with boiled basmati rice.