Ever taken a banana to work in your packed lunch, forgotten to eat it, inspected it the next morning, decided it’s too bashed about, put it back into the fruit bowl and replaced with a fresh one? Only to the go and do exactly the same thing the next day? No? Ah, maybe it’s just me…
Anyway, the obvious question is; what do you do with all those brown bananas? Well, for me this is the perfect solution. Cake – with the added bonus of being a small percentage of your 5aday!
- 200g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- a pinch of salt
- 3 medium sized ripe banans
- 2 medium eggs
- 125g butter at room temp
- 100g unrefined caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 20cm cake tin
- At least 5 clean bowls (always catches me out!)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into one of your bowls and set aside.
- Peel and mash your bananas in another bowl.
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites into another 2 bowls (see what I’m saying?). If you’ve never done this, there is a bit of a knack – it’s important that none of the yolk ends up in the white as it will stop it from properly holding air when you beat it. To find out more watch this.
- Beat the butter sugar and vanilla in bowl number 5 until pale and fluffy, add the egg yolks and beat until incorporated. Then mix in the mashed banana.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks (again see here if you’re not sure), add a teaspoon of sugar and beat again.
- Take a heaped tablespoon of egg white and fold into the egg/banana mixture to loosen it.
- Then gently fold in the rest of the egg whites. Gently is the operative word at this point as any hefty mixing will knock out all that stored air which is going to help make this more cake than biscuit!
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture (again gently) and transfer the mixture to the greased cake tin.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 30minutes until golden and springy to the touch.
PS Try not to burn your mouth when you can’t help tucking in while it’s still hot! See, aren’t you glad you didn’t bin those brown bananas?